I found this here and thought I’d share it with you.
This was found on the newsgroup: rec.humor.funny
H2O: Dangerous Chemical!
A student at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical “dihydrogen monoxide.”
And for plenty of good reasons, since:
1. it can cause excessive sweating and vomiting
2. it is a major component in acid rain
3. it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
4. accidental inhalation can kill you
5. it contributes to erosion
6. it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
7. it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients
He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical.
* Forty-three (43) said yes,
* six (6) were undecided,
* and only one (1) knew that the chemical was water.
The title of his prize winning project was, “How Gullible Are We?”
He feels the conclusion is obvious.
This is just sad. The experiment itself is brilliant and all due kudos to the person who thought to do this experiment. This is a fine example of how our media has made us afraid of virtually everything.
How can we be expected to move our society forward if we have fear mongers trying to make us afraid of our own shadows? Seriously, people, can we get a dose of common sense around here, please?
I know a lot of it is people being wrapped up in their lives, but a bit of forethought and common sense never killed anyone.
Fear, on the other hand. . . .